Saturday, March 3, 2007

James (part 2) - With Prejudice

At what age should a child stop whining?
Did any groups come up with a definition of the word, Mature?
What are some of the different labels that are placed on people in your school?
What’s downtown Chicago like? What kind of people are in downtown Chicago?

Don’t answer this out loud. I want to you to think about the question, and answer it to yourself.

Is there anyone in your school who you intentionally do not talk to or avoid, because of what other people might think about you for talking to that person?

Is there anyone here at The Grip who you intentionally do not talk to or avoid, because of what other people might think about you for talking to that person?

Let me tell you what the cop out part to that question is – “Because of what other people might think”. Usually, it’s not about what other people might think. It’s about what you think.

This past week, I was in Orlando, Florida on a business trip. I was walking to my hotel on Monday night, and I saw a man sitting outside the hotel. I said to myself, practically out loud, “You’ve got to be kidding me. I don’t have time for this”. I thought that he was a homeless man sitting by the hotel waiting for me to pass so that he could ask me for some money. I got up to him, and then I realized that he was just sitting on the pavement, because he was tired of standing and probably just waiting for a ride. I felt like a real jerk, not because I mistook the man for a homeless man, but because of my attitude towards him when I thought that he was homeless.

Saira and I used to live in Chicago, and there was a man named Ed who stood on the Expressway exit asking for money from the cars that drove by. So how do I know that his name is Ed? I asked him one day. I shook his rough, extremely dirty and calloused hand. I’ve given pizza, pasta, money, soup, canned fruit…. I was walking down Michigan Ave. on my way to a business exposition, and there was a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk mumbling something to me. I have no idea what he said, but I walked over to him and asked him to repeat himself so that I could answer him. I took time out of my life to talk to him. I took another homeless man to McDonalds one night. A few weeks later, I gave him a ride to the place that he was staying. His name was Larry. I knew him. I even told him about Jesus, and he made a commitment of faith. He was a Christian, and I played a part in it. I’ve preached at the Pacific Garden Mission, a homeless shelter. I’ve shaken their hands. I’ve allowed them to get close to me. I’ve prayed with them. I’ve listened to their stories.

So why not the man outside the hotel? It was just one man. All I had to do was go upstairs and go to bed. Why couldn’t I stop and say, “Hi”. Why couldn’t I ask him if he was hungry?

I spoke to a woman in O’Hare. I spoke to the people who were on the plane with me. So why not him?

The answer is very simple: In that moment, I thought that I was better than him. He didn’t deserve my time. My time was too valuable for him. I felt ashamed of myself for feeling that way.

This is what the Bible says: James 2:1-4,8-9,14-17

We are told in James 1:22 to be doers. We are told to put into action what the Bible tells us. Faith without action is dead and powerless.

Here at The Grip, we desire to have an environment of acceptance. This is not a place to come and be judged by others. It is not a place to come and judge others. Every single one of us have prejudices. I hang out with this group, Because_____. I don’t hang with this group, Because_______.

It is important that when someone new comes here that they feel welcomed. They need to feel like they belong.

Jesus calls us to live out our faith. He calls us to live out what we believe. If you are here and know for sure that you have a relationship with Christ, then #1) That’s awesome. #2) The Grip is not about you. The Grip is about you living out your faith in your community. Ephesians 4:1 says, “Live a life worthy of the calling with which you have been called”. Jesus loves you and wants what is best for your life. He came that you might have life, and that you would have it abundantly (a good life). The best life is a life that is lived out according to God’s purpose for your life. His purpose for your life is this – It’s not about you, It’s about Him. It’s about taking the risk, when you feel uncomfortable talking to someone you don’t know. It’s about abandoning childish fears and the teenage acceptance grid so that someone else might have a chance to know God. If you are here and you can’t say for sure that you have a relationship with Christ, then The Grip is all about you. It’s about getting your questions answered. It’s about building relationships with people who have a relationship with Christ. It’s about you meeting Christ, and falling in love with Him. That is what The Grip is about. If that’s not what this is about, then we should just close out doors, because we aren’t doing what we were called here to do. There are plenty of teen clubs and parties that will be happy to make someone feel welcome so that they can make money and have fun. But in the end, that’s all it is.

We have to grow. We can’t stop growing.
My Journey is My Journey
Who makes the decisions on your journey?
Make the right ones.
-------------------------------------------------------
Breakout Session Guide B.S.L. stands for Breakout Session Leader -
What are you going to do when it gets warm outside?
BSL – This is simply an ice-breaker question (feel free to use another one)

What does it mean to be mature?
BSL – One idea here is to actually have the group build a definition of the word

What are some things that you expect be different about your life in 10 years?
BSL – Keep this question about them personally (behaviors, activities, attitudes)

Why is it important to continue to grow up?
BSL – Some basic reasons (You probably won’t be able to hold down a job, because of
the lack of responsibility; You will find yourself to be lonely, because most adults find
other childish adults to be annoying and don’t care to spend time with them)

Give an example of an adult you know who decided to never grow up. What are they like?
BSL – This is one of those questions that you never really know how it will turn out…
Use your judgment. Don’t allow them to use peoples names.

No comments: