Saturday, March 3, 2007

7 Checkpoints: Moral Boundaries - Thought Life (part 2)

Philippians 4:8
…Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let you mind dwell on these things.

Who knows what B.O. is? B.O. is short for body odor. It is a smell that typically originates in the underarms of a person. It doesn’t have to be smelly armpits to be B.O. It can be a smelly bottom that wasn’t properly cared for.

I want to tell you about 2 people and 1 situation.
1) Smelly Steve. I felt really bad for Steve. I think that he was a Senior when I was a Freshman. He smelled. He never really did his hair. People at school would make fun of him to the point that he had a nickname. Apparently, Steve didn’t mind the smell.
2) Ernst. Ernst was an older man that I worked with a couple of years ago. He would come into work and some days when he would walk by me I would have to hold my breath, and sometimes go to an entirely different area to get away from the smell. Apparently, Ernst didn’t mind the smell.

They must have smelled it, right? How could it be that I would almost gag when he walked by, but He was able to live with the smell all day long? His wife lived with the smell? How? What could be done about that odor?

1) The situation: I was in 6th grade. It was time to go to lunch. Apparently, the teacher smelled or heard something? I still don’t know what exactly happened. Mr. Slaughtervick would not allow us to leave the classroom until someone admitted to creating the smell that he smelled. I really had to go to the bathroom. So I raised my hand? (I had no idea what was going on). He said, “John, are you the one who’s smelling up this room?” I said, “No. I put on my deoderant this morning.” He said,”Most people don’t put deoderant on down there.” I was completely embarrassed, and then he let me go to the bathroom. I don’t think he did ever find out who smelled up the room.

Could I have 2 volunteers:
Walk by me and pretend that I smell and show us how you would react….

Sometimes the things that we think about are nasty. They smell really bad. This talk is about establishing boundaries on what you think about, on what you allow your mind to dwell on. There are certain things that impact what we think about.
Music
TV
DJ’s
Friends
Magazines
Pictures
The Bible is saying that we need to be intentional about what we think about.

No comments: