Sunday, March 4, 2007

7 Checkpoints: Healthy Friendships - Accountability

John 10:10
I have come that you might have life and that you might have it abundantly.

Paraphrase – Jesus came so that I could have a good life.

What is a good life?
A life that fulfills it’s reason for being. Anything short of that, falls short of having a good life. True fulfillment in life comes when we become what we were created to become.

You and I were created in God’s image. That’s exciting. That means that you and I are on a spiritual journey. That’s something that can’t be said about anything else that has ever been created.

We were created to worship God. Worshipping God is a privilege that has been reserved for you and me, people.

When you worship something or someone, you are saying, “You are worthy of my time” “You are worthy of my resources” “You are worth it”

1 Timothy 4:12
Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity show yourself an example of those who believe.

How many of you would agree that adults sometimes have a tendency to look down at young people. ____________________ That’s typically because recklessness, disrespect, apathy, selfishness, and foolishness are usually associated with young people’s behavior.

One of the ways that we show God that He’s worth it, is by listening to what He has to say and doing it.

What are some examples of Speech ____________ Conduct _____________ etc…?

That’s nice that we have an idea of what God wants us to do, but the big question is HOW???????

1) Be with the right people…

Proverbs 13:20 – He who walks with the wise will become wise, but he is the companion of fools will suffer harm.

Does anyone remember the difference between someone who is wise and someone who is a fool?

A wise friend is a good friend – Good friends know the difference between right and wrong. Good friends make good decisions. IT IS ALWAYS EASIER TO DO THE RIGHT THING WHEN YOU ARE WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE.

A foolish friend is not a good friend – A foolish person also know the difference between right and wrong, and chooses to do the wrong. They aren’t ignorant. They just aren’t interested in doing right regardless of the consequences, and they will drag you down with them.

That brings me to another reason we were created.

We were created to have deep and meaningful relationships with each other.

2) Be accountable

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another

It’s called accountability.
If I am smart, then I’m going to surround myself with wise friends who will let me know when I am not being wise. They will let me know when I am making bad decisions in my speech, my conduct, my love, my faith, and my purity.

They will hold me to a standard.
-------------------------------------
Breakout Session Guide -

Give each person in the group a blank piece of paper and a pen.
Read 1 Timothy 4:12
Now Read it again and each time you come to a description (Speech, Conduct, Love, etc…) have a person write down that word.
If you run out of words, then just do it all again. If you run out of people, then just have some people do two.

Now hand out deflated balloons (one per person)

Have each person roll up their piece of paper and stick it inside the balloon.

Blow up the balloons and tie them off.

Put all the balloons in the middle of the group.

Each person, when it is there turn will take a balloon, pop it, read the paper, and give 2 examples (1 good and 1 bad)
Speech – Good – Thank you, mom….
Bad – You’re a moron….

BSL – Be sure to participate in this exercise with your group.

No comments: