Saturday, March 3, 2007

7 Checkpoints: Moral Boundaries - Thought Life (part 4)

I don’t want to be funny tonight. I want to be serious. I want to share something from my heart to your heart.

When we started on this topic of our thought life the focus really was supposed to be on sex, and how it impacts our thoughts and our purity.

We ended up somewhere a little more different. It was a place that was a little bit more scary and more intense and full of honesty.

I have these questionnaires that you guys filled out last week. Some of you were bold enough to hand these in. This was an anonymous exercise. Your anonymity is safe. Some of you didn’t hand yours in, and that’s completely ok.

I read through the ones that I received. It really hurt my heart to read the things that are on your minds. I really hurt for you. I was still thinking about everything the next day as I was driving into work, and I felt emotionally overwhelmed by what you guys carry around with you everyday.

Then I thought about those of you who didn’t turn yours in. Either you didn’t know that you could turn them in or you were too embarrassed to turn them in.

I need everyone to know that The Grip is not a place of shame. The Grip is a place that you can find relief from your shame. You are free to just BE here.

This is why: We have a desire to reflect Jesus Christ here, and that’s what he’s like.

If you read about His time here in the New Testament of the Bible you will see very quickly that He was not about making people feel bad about themselves.

John 10:10
I have come that you might have life, and that you might have it abundantly

The papers that I read this week weren’t that. They were filled with despair and hopelessness and confusion. Jesus came that we would have a good life

1 Peter 5:7
Cast your cares upon Him for He cares for you

How do I know that?

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down His life for His friends

John 3:16

Knowing the mind of God – having the Spirit of God

No comments: